Thursday, December 4, 2008

A decision to wax "Pollyanna", for the sake of my battered psyche

It's no secret that I've been having a rough fall, but I'm tired of being negative, so I've decided to focus on the good things, instead. These things include:
  • An excellent Thanksgiving holiday, full of food, family, and fun
  • A husband who is the perfect match for me, who keeps me balanced and sane and laughing
  • A job I like that apparently likes me back
  • Research ideas that look like they're going to make a killer dissertation
  • A professor-mentor who is a stellar example for a TA like myself
  • The continued good health of friends and family members
  • A cozy, comfy, cool old house that is truly a home
  • Excellent musical colleagues
  • The light at the end of the tunnel
And so on these things I shall ponder, to avoid sinking into the Slough of Despair. Why is it that the bad bits of life always seem to affect one more than the good bits? I think that's highly unfair to the good bits, and so I am hereby reversing the trend. Wish me luck with that, won't you?

No comments: